My Virtual Sanity

Have you ever felt the need to share your thoughts with virtual strangers just so you can pretend that you have adult conversations during the day? Well, that's what I'm about to do. Be prepaired for my life as a stay at home, obsessive knitter, and my attempts to stay connected with the rest of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Friday, March 20, 2009

Potato Soup

I make several versions of this soup since it's so easy and tasty, but this is my favorite and the one that I seem to come back to.

Potato Soup
3-4 Large baking potatoes
1 stick butter
about 8 tbs flour
1/2 onion chopped
8 cups milk
1 package frozen peas
1/2 to 1 cup diced ham, or 1 small can Hormel canned ham (usually found near the tuna fish)
2 cups shredded cheese
About 3-4 tbs salt
About 1-2 tbs black pepper

Wash, cut up, and boil potatoes for about 30 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.

Melt butter in the same pot. Add onion and saute until onion is clear.

Whisk flour into the butter 1 tbs at a time until it forms a paste. Gradually whisk milk into butter, flour and onion mixture. (whisking ensures there are no lumps).

Add potatoes, peas, and ham to the pot and let cook until it boils. Stir occasionally to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the bottom.

Stir in Cheese until melted. (If you add this too soon, your cheese will clump). Season with salt and pepper to taste. If your soup tastes kind of bland add more salt.

Makes aprox 6-8 adult servings

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Druciana said...

Wow! That is very simular to my potoato soup recipe. Potato soup is the ultimate meal on a budget!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Absolutely! You can feed an army on 4 potatoes...lol

2:30 PM  
Blogger Siobhan said...

That sounds delicious. Can you tell me what weight a stick of butter is? In Australia a stick of butter is half a pound is it the same for you?
:)
Siobhan.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Tera said...

Hey Dawn! I found your blog. Hope you don't mind me stopping by! I loved reading your weaning post. So funny!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

In the US, a stick of butter is 8tbs, or 4oz, or 1/4lb :)

10:01 PM  
Blogger taradon said...

That sounds great. I'll have to give it a try!

8:04 AM  
Blogger LoriD said...

Hi Dawn! It sounds like a great recipe and I can't wait to try it! I was curious about what the serving size is since this recipe makes 6 to 8 adult servings. I only have 2 adults and 1 toddler in my family and depending on the serving size, I might prefer to cut the recipe in half.

Thank you! Oh and I love your toddler sock pattern, which is how I found your site!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I consider a serving size a ladle full. This makes a BIG pot of soup, which reheats really well. I usually intentionally make more than we need so that I can have some for lunches throughout the week.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home