My Virtual Sanity

Have you ever felt the need to share your thoughts with virtual strangers just so you can pretend that you have adult conversations during the day? Well, that's what I'm about to do. Be prepaired for my life as a stay at home, obsessive knitter, and my attempts to stay connected with the rest of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Sunday, October 14, 2007

One Skein Snuggle Scarf

There have been very few yarns in my life that I have adored so much that I simply MUST knit it NOW, but this spearmint handspun is one of them. It is so soft and lofty, and lovely that it just makes me itch to grab some needles. The only problem is that I only had 138 yrds of it. What does one do with a single skein of yummy yarn? Make a scarf :D


I present to you the One Skein Snuggle Scarf!

This scarf is is worked with a 4 stitch double knit edging. The edging is particularly snuggly and cozy next to the skin. It may curl during knitting, but lays quite flat after blocking. A pretty frog closure keeps the scarf securely in place without the need for a knot, and adds a touch of elegance. The very basic stitch pattern is designed to show off your lovely yarn, not distract from it.

Yarn: 1 skein of to die for, absolutely MUST knit now, worsted weight yarn.
Needles: Size 7 (or size needed to create a fabric you love)
1 pretty frog type closure

Cast on 30 stitches loosely.
Row 1: (K1, Sl1) twice, (K1, P1) 11 times, (K1, Sl1) twice.
Row 2: (K1, Sl1) twice, (P1, K1) 11 times, (K1, Sl1) twice.
Repeat rows 1 & 2, 4 more times. (10 rows of seed stitch boarder)

Body 1: (K1, Sl1) twice, K22, (K1, Sl1) twice.
Body 2: (K1, Sl1) twice, P22, (K1, Sl1) twice.
Repeat body rows until piece measures about 36" or until you are afraid you won't have enough yarn left for the other seed stitch boarder.

Repeat rows 1 & 2, 5 times more.
Bind off all stitches and weave in ends.

After blocking, drape scarf elegantly around your neck like you want to wear it and mark where the frog closure should hold it closed. Sew on Frog closure and snuggle up!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori Allen said...

Hi Dawn,
Gorgeous scarf! I think I need to do one out of some of my handspun. Very inspiring!
I just have one question - for the body, should there be a second row for the body that involves purling back? The scarf looks like stockinette, as opposed to garter, so I was just wondering.
Thanks!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Oooo! You are so right. I'm glad you caught that. It's fixed now :D

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home