My Virtual Sanity

Have you ever felt the need to share your thoughts with virtual strangers just so you can pretend that you have adult conversations during the day? Well, that's what I'm about to do. Be prepaired for my life as a stay at home, obsessive knitter, and my attempts to stay connected with the rest of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Free Pattern! Toe Up, Heal Flap, Magic Loop Toddler Socks

I got sick of the 6 inches of ribbing at the neck of my Somewhat Cowl, so I decided to take a break yesterday and try something new. No, the yarn isn't new. Toddler socks aren't new, but the way I made these was new to me. First of all, I made them toe up. Second, I used Magic loop instead of dpn. Third I tried that really cool Turkish cast on for Magic loop. So, that's 3 totally new things I learned! Notice that the sock is done toe up, but still has a heal flap. Isn't that cool? I really like how the heal flap fits. I found a calculator for it at the knitting friend.

Techniques used: Magic Loop, and Turkish Cast on. If you want detailed instructions on these, please click on the links.

Toe Up, Heal Flap, Magic Loop Toddler Socks:

Using the Turkish Cast on, wrap 4 times around both needles. Knit 4 stitches on each needle being careful to rotate the work, not turn as if to purl (8 stitches total) .

Toe Increases:
Round 1: *K1,, Kfb (Knit into the front and back of stitch), Kfb, K1* Repeat for second needle.
Round 2: *K1, Kfb, K2, Kfb, K1* Repeat for second needle.
Round 3: *K1, Kfb, K4, Kfb, K1* Repeat for second needle.
Continue in this pattern increasing 1 stitch at each end of the needle until each needle has 20 stitches (40 stitches total).

Continue in stockingette, Knitting every round, until your sock measures 1 1/2 inches less than desired length, then begin gusset increases.

Gusset:
Needle 1: K1, Kfb, K16, Kfb, K1
Needle 2: Knit across
Repeat this 5 more times. 6 rounds total. 20 instep stitches, 32 heal stitches.

Heal Turn:
Note: The heal turn will be worked on the center 12 stitches. 10 stitches will be held in reserve (not worked) on either side for the gusset. They will be picked up in the heal flap.
Turn work so that wrong side is facing
Row 1: P10 (gusset stitches), Pfb (Pearl through front and back loop on same stitch), P10, Wrap next stitch and turn.
Row 2: Kfb, K9, Wrap next stitch and turn.
Row 3: Pfb, P8, Wrap next stitch and turn.
Continue in this pattern, working one less stitch between the increase and the turn each round. Final round will be: Kfb, K3, Wrap next stitch and turn.

Heal Flap:
Row 1: P11, P2tog, turn.
Row 2: Sl1, K18, SSK, turn.
Row 3: Sl1, P18, P2tog, turn.
Row 4: Sl1, K18, SSk, turn.
Repeat these repeat rows 3 &4 until all gusset stitches are worked in.
Heal complete. For the rest of the sock, continue knitting in the round on both needles.

Cuff:
Continue in stockingette stitch, knitting every round, or desired cuff pattern until sock measures 1 inch less than desired length. Work K1, P1 ribbing for 1 inch and bind off. Weave in ends.

34 Comments:

Blogger sheep#100 said...

Cool - nice job.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Alliesw said...

I like these--and you gave me some new things to try, thanks!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

Wonderful pattern! I can't wait to try these! Thanks so much for sharing your pattern!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I am such a dpn'er, that I was looking for something simple to try magic loop - and here it is. I guess if you can try ALL 3 new things, so can I! :-)

3:59 PM  
Blogger Chele said...

The socks are gorgeous. I love the colors you used. I'm knitting two at a time using magic loop method. I have no clue how long a baby sock is but I'm going to work it out. Thanks for sharing!

Michele

4:24 PM  
Blogger julia said...

Hi, I love your pattern and explanations but I've realized there is still a mistake in it:
on the heel turn, you write :
"Row 1: P10 (gusset stitches), Pfb (Pearl through front and back loop on same stitch), P10, Wrap next stitch and turn."
I think you should erase the second "P10" since we work on 12 sts and the next rows are:
"Row 2: Kfb, K9, Wrap next stitch and turn.
Row 3: Pfb, P8, Wrap next stitch and turn."

Thanks for the pattern it's lovely !

julia

1:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

heel.

what size needles did you use?

2:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have now learned the Turkish cast-on and magic loop thanks to this pattern - thank you! =) I'm not a beginner, but a first-time sock knitter. However, I have knit the heel twice now and must be making mistakes despite counting and paying attention. Turning to the "wrong side" of the work leaves me confused, because then my heel is all purled, which doess't look like the photo. And when I knit the heel flap, those edge stitches don't seem to reduce evenly if at all. *sigh*

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first time working a toddler sock. I am confused by the heel turn. It makes no sense to me. Can you give step by step instruction? do I purl the first 10 stitches of that row or what? what do I do to get the 12 stitches to work the turn on?

10:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't wait to try this!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Quick question. I'm not very familiar with wrapping stitches and short rows... after wrapping, do you slip the wrapped stitch back to the left needle?

11:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Just learned to knit the toe-up sock and have started to knit the toddler sock for a gift and would like to know how long to knit before I start the gusset for a size 1. Thank you for the free pattern. Brenda

2:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I have just learned to knit the toe-up socks and have started to knit the todler socks for a gift and need to know how long to knit before the gusset for a 1 year old. thanks, Brenda

2:28 PM  
Blogger Anneke said...

Nice looking socks. What weight yarn? What gauge?

3:11 PM  
Blogger rozaverschoor said...

Heal + heel

9:04 AM  
Blogger rozaverschoor said...

Pearl + purl

9:05 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Thanks for sharing

11:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for figuring out a toe up sock for toddlers. I think that there is a mistake in the pattern for starting the heel turn. The pattern says p10 pfb p10 wrap stitch and turn. This causes the heel turn to be one stitch off because even though the purl increase causes you to have 12 stitches, because of the increase, you haven't gotten these 12 out of the middle. It should read p10 pfb p11 wrap stitch and turn.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Tylena said...

Needing help on the heel! I read in the Ravlery note that's there is a mistake at the heel of the pattern, what is the correction?

10:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment Cynthia, I'm glad I read through them before starting this myself!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Bailey said...

Can someone please explain the heel turn & flap? Am I supposed to knit on the needle with 32 stitches or the one with 20? I'm guessing the 32-stitch needle, but then do I start with a knit (the previous section ended the round knitting the 20-stitch needle, but maybe I did that wrong). Would love some clarification or a video demonstration. Thanks!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

what size needles and is this sock yarn? im new to socks but would love to try these for my son! my email is slharding28@gmail.com if anyone can email me some help and tips i would greatly appreciate it!!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing pattern - I love toe up socks - however what would be the desired length of the childs foot - from the tip of the toe to the base of the heel for a three year old child - just so I could stop doing the stockingnet one and a half inch less than the desired length and then start on the gusset increases.

Appreciate your help.

YVONNE DPENHA
everamdreamin@yaho..co.in

1:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We are professional in the marketing of caps, socks and gloves or mufflers. You can buy the woollen caps and also can get woollen gloves. We also provide the gents socks and ladies socks. Here are also options for the gents cap, ladies cap, kids socks, gents gloves, ladies gloves, kids gloves, sports socks, ankle socks, no show socks and footsie socks

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The anti-slip grips on the bottom are a great fit, too, even in shoes. Made from high-quality organic cotton, these toddler socks are very soft and breathable. toddler socks with grips

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The appearance of Connectivity Issues or “Connection Error in Binance account
Are you facing connectivity issues or connection error in Binance? When you face connection errors, you are unable to certain activities on Binance. To fix all the connectivity issues, you can dial Binance Support Number. 1-888-764-0492 and avail the finest solutions to resolve your queries. The professionals work nonstop and know all the means and methods to fix the errors in Binance. You can rely on their Binance services as they deliver out-of-the-box resolutions.

12:35 AM  
Blogger jerrysproductreviews said...

thanks for sharing your creative touch. the socks are cute. buycubii.com

6:38 AM  
Blogger jerrysproductreviews said...

This is good stuff. You've got my brain going about things I can do.
buysmartwash
powerairfryer360

9:59 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Did you get a reply, I don't see it in pattern but I do have issues comprehensively

8:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your web page is amazing. It is normally fast as well as cheers with respect to allowing opinions. slabway spa shiatsu foot massager review

2:05 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Not the author, but a wrap and turn involves holding the yarn on the “wrong” side (back for purl, front for knit), slipping the next stitch, and turning your work. The assumed first step of the next row is to slip the stitch back to the right needle. So that stitch is never knitted. Hope this helps!! 😊

4:54 PM  
Blogger The Blog said...

Being one of the most trusted customized socks providers lulupup socks provide best services all over US, Lulupup Socks has landed in the ground to serve you with extraordinary upshots.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Hafsa shaikh said...

baby hairbands I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here.

4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home