My Virtual Sanity

Have you ever felt the need to share your thoughts with virtual strangers just so you can pretend that you have adult conversations during the day? Well, that's what I'm about to do. Be prepaired for my life as a stay at home, obsessive knitter, and my attempts to stay connected with the rest of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Monday, March 06, 2006

FO Alert ~ STR Socks

Pattern: No pattern (See below for "Basic" sock formula)
Yarn: STR (Socks that Rock) by Blue Moon Fiber Arts
Needles: Size 1 dpn

I finished these about lunch time on Saturday, and have waited until today to wear them. I wanted to show them off while I was out and about today. They are a bit looser than my Conwy socks. I think that my feet and ankles need a 52 stitch cast on, rather than a 64. Yes, I have been blessed with skinny feet...lol They still feel wonderful on my feet. I seriously thought about frogging them and switching to 52 stitches after I had done the heal of the first one, but I figured they were ok, which they are. The yarn was a dream to knit with, and I love the colors. Someday I will buy some more STR, but for now, these are the most expensive pair of socks I have ever worn (about $20)! But what do you expect from 100% superwash Merino wool?! I've also heard these wear like iron, so I expect to get 7 good years of wear out of these babies.

Basic Sock Formula:
  1. Cast on your desired EVEN number of stitches and divide between 3 dpn. Standard numbers seem to be 72, 64, or 52. (I used 64 stitches for these socks, but in the future will use 52, as they're a bit baggy)
  2. K2 P2 around
  3. Continue in K2 P2 ribbing until Cuff reaches desired length (Mine are 8 inches long)
Heel Flap:
  1. Knit across half of the stitches and slip the remaining half to a stitch holder
  2. Heel flap Row 1: Slip 1 Pearl across remaining stitches, Turn
  3. Heel flap Row 2: Slip 1, Knit 1 across, Turn
  4. Repeat Heel flap rows 1 and 2 16 more times (this creates 17 chain stitches)
Turn Heel:
  1. Slip 1 and pearl across half the stitches Plus 2 (For 52 stitch sock this is 15, for 64 this is 18, etc)
  2. P2tog, P1, turn
  3. Count the number of stitches remaining that were not worked last row. Slip first stitch, Knit across that number minus 3 (8 for 52 stitch sock, 11 stitches for 64 stitch sock, etc), K2tog, K1, Turn.
  4. Slip 1, Pearl across to next to last stitch worked previous round. P2tog, Pearl 1, Turn
  5. Slip 1, Knit across to next to last stitch worked previous round. K2tog, Knit 1, Turn
  6. Continue in this manner until no stitches remain on left hand needle before turning.
  7. Work across one more row if necessary to end with WS facing for next row
  8. Knit across half stitches
  9. Start new needle and work remaining stitches
  10. On same needle pick up 17 stitches along the side of the heel flap
  11. Return stitches from stitch holder and knit across
  12. On new needle pickup 17 stitches along heel flap and work remaining half of heel stitches.
Gusset:
  1. Knit to within 3 stitches of end of needle, K2tog, Knit 1
  2. Knit across instep stitches
  3. Knit 1, SSK continue knitting to end of needle
  4. Knit around the entire round
  5. Continue in this manner decreasing 1 stitch on each side of the instep every other row until the number of stitches on the 2 side needles equals half of the instep stitches (13 stitches for 52 stitch sock, 16 stitches for 62 stitch sock, etc)
  6. Work even in stockingette for desired length of sock minus 2 inches (My foot is size 8 or 8 1/2 and I work for 7 to 7 1/2 inches)
Toe decrease:
  1. Knit to within 3 stitches of end of needle, K2tog, Knit 1
  2. Knit 1 instep stitch, SSK, knit to within 3 of end of needle, K2tog, Knit 1
  3. Knit 1, SSK, Knit to end of needle
  4. Work second row even
  5. Continue in this manner, decreasing 4 stitches every other round until you have divided the total number of stitches on the needles by half.
  6. End with yarn tail at one end or other of the instep stitches. Cut yarn 4x the length of remaining stitches.
  7. Slip both heel sides onto one needle and use the kirtchner stitch to graft the toe together
  8. weave in ends.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Gorgeous socks! And they're worth a lot more than $20 -- don't forget to figure in how much your knitting time is worth...those things are priceless! :-)

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home