My Virtual Sanity

Have you ever felt the need to share your thoughts with virtual strangers just so you can pretend that you have adult conversations during the day? Well, that's what I'm about to do. Be prepaired for my life as a stay at home, obsessive knitter, and my attempts to stay connected with the rest of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Mystery Stole 2

Well, I'm all ready for the first clue for the Mystery Stole 2!
As you can see I have all my tools laid out and am anxiously awaiting our first clue. This is my first project using actual lace yarn. I'm rather excited, but I have to say... Holy Heck that's some super fine yarn. This is recycled yarn, and being that I've never actually worked with lace weight yarn before, I don't know if it's lace weight or cobweb, but I have to say that if this is lace, I don't even want to see what cobweb is. I will be attempting to knit each clue twice (one on each end of the stole) each week so that at the end of 6 weeks I'll have a completed stole. Because of this, I have opted to do my provisional cast on using a second circular needle instead of waste yarn or a crochet cast on. I never thought I'd say this, but I definitely preferred swatching with my Susan Bates needle because it's a little sharper. The Audi's are definitely "stumpo's" as Grumperina would call them.

The pattern called for about 1200 yrds of lace weight yarn. I have a probably close to 1400 (I'm not counting my little swatch ball in the 1300 number. I'm hoping I won't have to use it). This yarn came from a very soft and very nice ladies short sleeved sweater. It is 85% Silk and 15% Cashmere. I do have some 100% cashmere in my bag, but It is either coral, blue, or tan, and none of those really appealed to me. If they appeal to you, check my eBay auctions and you just might get them :D This yarn is sooo soft and silky and definitely a much nicer yarn than I think I could afford from the LYS. This project will cost me a whole $1.50 I think. Go me. The color is a pearly silver with just the most wonderful hint of lavender. I know that the group suggested darker colors, but, like I said my choices were limited and I really like this yarn. I almost picked some truly stunning heathered teal lambswool, but in the end, it just wasn't as soft, and who doesn't want to say her new lace stole is silk and cashmere?!

I still have to wind half of my yarn into a ball. It's sitting next to me in a skein after being given a bath yesterday. It just takes so darn long to wind up 600 yrds of yarn...lol I swatched originally on size 3 needles, but definitely thought it was too loose. I think that the size 2's will be just perfect. Wish me luck! If it is even remotely like last year's stole, this is going to be absolutely breathtaking!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home