My Virtual Sanity

Have you ever felt the need to share your thoughts with virtual strangers just so you can pretend that you have adult conversations during the day? Well, that's what I'm about to do. Be prepaired for my life as a stay at home, obsessive knitter, and my attempts to stay connected with the rest of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Monday, July 31, 2006

Random Monday

I'm afraid that I don't have any pictures today. In fact, I don't have much of a topic today either. I realized that since I started up my yarn business that my knitting time, and my blogging time have been drastically limited. It is going well, though, and I'm highly encouraged. I have enough of my mother in me that I get going on tangents and can see the massive potential of what it could be and get all excited. I am tempted to spend more and more money in order to expand my business, to improve my vision. Luckily, though, I have enough of my grandpa in me to learn to be practical. I have about $30 in sweater inventory ready to be recycled and am trying to remind myself when I get the urge to go out and look for more that I have a big bag of them already. They are all lace weight, though, and I don't have any more cashmere or cotton, so I am going to have to go to the Salvation Army on $.98 Wednesday and check out what they've got.

My mother is very creative and has grand ideas for the future. She works very hard for short periods of time then gets frustrated with the enormity of what she has created. I fight with this part of myself all the time when it comes to things. I tend to want to go over board. I get obsessed. I dream and plot and plan. I spend a lot of money. Unfortunately, I do not have a whole lot of money. My major splurges recently have been 2 fold. I spent $40 on a brand new Mama Bear yarn swift for my business. I have wanted to buy a swift for quite some time, but have ignored the urge because they are seriously expensive. This is a business expense and has honestly cut down my production time drastically. I am so glad that I bought it. My other major splurge has been on about $50 for beads and beading supplies. Yes, I have found a new obsession. I have justified this by saying that I am expanding my business and that stitch markers and beaded row counters really be a good addition to luxury yarn. I'm now afraid that I let the side of me that is so much like my mom take over my better sense. Did I do too much?! Am I charging the right price?! Please go check out my beaded auctions and tell me I'm not crazy.

No, I have not knit on my mystery stole in over a week. In fact, I haven't knit much of anything. I have been trying to keep my head above water. Yesterday, I used my precious knitting time to design a new project that I have high hopes of submitting to Knitty Magazine. No, I can't tell you what it is, but I think it's coming along well and will be a great gift/ stash buster project. Yes, it's small. I like small projects, especially ones where I learn and get to practice new techniques. This has several in it that I hadn't used before.

The biggest news of the century... well, at least in my little world, is that we finally closed on our construction loan! We have been working towards our new house now for a year and a half and it should FINALLY be done in less than 4 months. At first we had hoped to have it completed before Brendan joined us, then before he outgrew his bassinet, now I'm just praying that we'll be moved by Christmas. This brings on a whole new set of stresses on me with keeping track of things, and the construction and all of that, but it is a happy stress. I feel so blessed that we will have a brand new house and a very large yard (the yard portion of our lot is about 1/2 acre). I never thought that with the lifestyle that DH and I picked we could afford a brand new house. As you know, we live on 1 income. My new found yarn money is going to paying off credit card debt that has accumulated over the years. We are not frivolous with our money, but we haven't had anything extra for things like major car repairs. Every time something like that comes up, it tends to be put on the credit card and collects interest. DH works for a retail store and makes very good money for what he does, but this really only puts us at about 35k a year for a family of 5. I have fretted about just how we will be able to pay for our new mortgage (It's going up almost $400!) and it seems that the Lord really is watching out for us. All of this frustrating delay has led to our move coinciding with some wonderful coincidence. DH's store is opening a new location in February MUCH closer to our new home. The new store will not only save us a lot of money on gas, but will also open up new management positions that will lead to a raise. DH's bonus this fall will not be needed as desperately for household things like I had thought and can be used to buy a vespa scooter for DH to go back and forth to work. This will also save us gas money, and with the new store opening up so soon, he won't need to go so far for as long. I am really very thankful for all of this and feel just so blessed.

I feel blessed that I can be home with my wonderful children, even though the 4 yr old is starting to whine and talk back about EVERYTHING. I am thankful that I can pursue the passions that my mother's genes passed on to me for all things creative. I love that there are always new things to learn and do. I think I have typed long enough now and I'm going to drag DH off of World of Warcraft with a well placed kiss on the neck and go to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home