My Virtual Sanity

Have you ever felt the need to share your thoughts with virtual strangers just so you can pretend that you have adult conversations during the day? Well, that's what I'm about to do. Be prepaired for my life as a stay at home, obsessive knitter, and my attempts to stay connected with the rest of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Sunday, August 27, 2006

I feel so accomplished


I knit up 4 of these cute little dish cloths since yesterday afternoon!

I was feeling a bit down and kind of weepy yesterday because a very nice person had sent me an email that I had made a spelling error on my business. I had spelled it Sheered instead of Sheared. I felt horrible that I had plastered this all over the place and was sure that she was picking on me and telling me I was stupid and a horrible person. These are probably the totally messed up hormones after having 3 kids talking. I now know that she was probably only trying to help, and I thank her. I was, however, feeling remarkably crappy yesterday afternoon. So, I did what every good knitting girl does when she feels crappy. I abandoned the kids to the care of their father and went to the craft store. I grabbed 2 balls of dishcloth cotton. White and one that is cream with colored flecks. They are only $2 a piece and I figured I'd get 2 dish cloths out of them. Amazing to me, however, I have knit 4 cloths so far and still have enough cotton for 1, maybe 2 more! That's not bad for $4 :D

True to form, I abandoned all other knitting projects last night in order to look up the free pattern that resembles the oh, so popular Ball Band pattern from Mason Dixon Knitting. It is called the Textured Slip Stitch Dish Cloth. It calls for a strange pearl row in the middle of the garter stitch section, and I just decided to ignore that and just make 4 rows of garter stitch. I started out by casting on the required 47 stitches, but after I had knit a few rows I ripped it all out. Why are all dish cloth patterns so BIG? I don't have gigantic hands, and I like my dish cloth to fit comfortably in my normal woman sized hands. Cotton dish cloths especially soak up a lot of water and get a little heavy when they're wet. They do this with wash cloths too. Why is that?! Why do they make them so large that you have to fold them to hold them right?! I want it thin enough that I can feel through the darn thing. If I wanted a thick pot holder, I would make one. I want a nice, comfortable hand sized cloth that I can feel through to make sure that I'm getting all of the gunk off of my dishes, or the counter. I'm prejudiced, I know. Because of this, however, I re-cast on using only 27 stitches. This is the perfect sized cloth for me to wipe down counters and such. It is still a tad larger than I like for washing dishes, though. If I have to wad it up too much, it's hard to fit it and my hand inside a glass.

I like the pattern, it has great scrubbing properties (although, for dishes, I think acrylic yarn is better at scrubbing). The cotton is very absorbent and works wonderful for wiping counters and the sink, etc. My biggest problem with the yarn is that the colors like to bleed. I had this problem with a dish cloth that someone made me for a wedding present. It was deep red, and it has made everything red through several uses. Also, cotton does not dry quickly at all. It is annoying to wash down the counters at night, hang the cloth over the sink to dry and still find it damp in the morning.

My little trip to the craft store yesterday did, in fact, have a purpose. I was getting some non-yarn supplies for the gift exchange the Knittingparents group is doing. I had an epiphany yesterday and knew EXACTLY what I wanted to make my secret pal. I have been pondering it all day today, and I think I have a plan that will work. I have my yarn all wound and ready to swatch. This leeds me to my second FO accomplishment. I looked at the fingering weight yarn I have picked out and realized that I would really like to use my Audis. I don't know exactly what size I'm going to need, but my favorite ones were tied up in that pair of socks that I have been working on for well over a month now. I only have the tiny little cuff left of the second sock, but there they sat. Nothing like the motivation of getting something off the needles that you need in order to get the project done. So, my mom's second pair of knitpicks socks are done! I don't have a picture for you, because they look EXACTLY like the other pair. I'm serious, it's amazing that both balls of yarn started in the same place in the pattern. Wierd. If you missed them the first time, you can see them here.

tomorrow I will try to resist the urge to swatch for the One Skein exchange since the Pinwheel sweater takes priority. It needs to be done by Saturday. I don't think I'll have a problem with that as long as I resist the urge to start more projects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home