My Virtual Sanity

Have you ever felt the need to share your thoughts with virtual strangers just so you can pretend that you have adult conversations during the day? Well, that's what I'm about to do. Be prepaired for my life as a stay at home, obsessive knitter, and my attempts to stay connected with the rest of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Mitten Love

Mittens, hanging and dripping snow in the new mudroom of our house.
Do you think that they feel loved by their child sized owners?
Do you think that the romp in the snow for the very first time filled their little fibery mitten hearts with joy?
Do you think that they see the ice crystals formed on their perfectly formed stitches as a badge of honor?
Congratulations brave little mittens. You have fought your first snow ball fight bravely and kept tiny hands warm and safe. Thank you.

We went outside today and romped in the snow for a bit. I remember as a child that I hated knitted mittens because they always got totally soaked within minutes, and they collected great balls of snow on the palms. Remembering this, I have no idea why I feel the need to knit my children mittens. Do I really think that because the mittens I made are made of wool that it will make these problems go away? I may have to make myself a pair just to see. One thing I can say, though, is that these little things dry FAST. After 2 hours of hanging on the rod in the mud room, Shaya's mittens were completely dry and Alex's were just a little damp. Alex's mittens are made of Paton's Classic Merino, while Shaya's were made of my own 100% handspun. It is not merino, although, I can't remember what kind of wool it is. I wonder if merino absorbs more water because it is so much softer...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home