Pattern: Picovoli by Grumperina
Yarn: Knit Picks Shine Sport in Hydrangea
Needles: Size 3 Audi Turbo 36"
I love this top. I love how feminine the hourglass shaping is on the front, and how simple it is. I'm not sure if I love the yarn. Shine is very soft and just a little shiny, but it feels like a firm cord in your hands. It has absolutely no stretch and is thus very unforgiving on my hands. I could only knit for so long before my fingers got tired and I longed for the stretchyness of a good wool sock yarn...lol
I completed it using the picot edging because I knew I wouldn't be ironing it to prevent rolling, but the laziness that encouraged me to do this also encouraged me to figure out a way to knit down the edge instead of pulling out a needle. All in all, I don't know if it took me all that much less time to do it my way, though, because each bind off stitch involved a lot of parts.
- Reach down with right needle tip 3 rows and pull up the pearl bump.
- Place pearl bump on left needle
- Knit stitch and pearl bump together
- Repeat for next stitch
- Slip first stitch over second to bind off
The k2tog wasn't that bad, it was the counting to make sure you were 3 rows down and catching that little bump. Sometimes it didn't want to cooperate. This whole bind off process created a pretty crochet chain type thing on the back side of the work, which also made it 3 yarn widths thick and made it want to curl up. A little trip to the ironing board fixed that.... I hope permanently. It's very important that you go down at least 3 rows, however, because if you go down less it doesn't pull the back of the picot down enough and it will curl outward forever more, no matter how much ironing you do. I made the mistake of not knitting enough rows after the "yo, k2tog" row on my neckline before I knit it together with my provisional cast on. It will forever stand up, but I'm ok with that. The rest of the sweater looks fantastic.
Aside from how I knit down the edging, I did make a slight adjustment to the pattern. Because I'm LDS (or Mormon) I can't wear tank tops. I need little capped sleeves to cover my shoulders. This is just essentially a reglan sweater, so I thought sleeves would be an easy thing to add now that I'm comfortable adjusting patterns a bit. At first I just picked up all the underarm stitches and started knitting them all around together. This made the capped sleeve a little too wide. It would have probably been fine if I had been making a long sleeve, but these are tiny little sleeves and I wanted them a little more close fitting. At this point I actually read the musings on sleeves
that Grumperina provided. I then tried her first suggestion. I knit back and forth on the existing sleeve stitches, picking up 1 stitch from the underarm each row. After what I thought was a good length, I picked up the rest of the underarm and knit a few rows, then did the picot edging. Again, this seemed a bit wide for me. "Hmm" I said "If it's too wide, then I should be decreasing stitches!" For the third and final attempt, I knit back and forth on the existing sleeve stitches like before, but this time I would pick up a stitch from the underarm at the end of each row. I'd then knit it together with the stitch next to it after I had turned to go back the other way. I did this for 14 rows (7 decreases on each side) then picked up the rest of the underarm stitches and knit them all around for a few rows. Completed my picot edging and knit it down as before. The little picots want to flare out a bit, but I suppose that's ok. All in all I LOVE this top!